Why would anyone want to visit your web site?
Many, perhaps most, web sites are designed to reflect the site owner's
interests and agenda. (Yes, that includes my own.) In this talk, I'll
suggest that we would all be more effective developers if we think more
carefully about the potential visitor's interests and agenda.
Viewpoint: owner vs. visitor
- Example: Robert Hansen Photography, stock photo introduction
- Example: my own sites
Non-profit and public sector
- Advice: create, give, borrow, circulate; emphasizes social media.
- Advice: goal of visitors is help themselves, not "learn about my products, company, etc."
- Examples: Google search for back pain remedies
- Examples: compare mobile carriers
- Sprint: why make me answer questions first?
- AT&T: all about product.
- Verizon: at least talks about advantages for
customers; good section on challenges lower in the page.